I love Brad Paisley. Well, not love, love. But love as in I love his singing love. That’s kind of funny, too, since I’ve pretty much hated country music my whole life.
You have to understand that when I was growing up, the country music I had to listen to was George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Porter Wagner, and Dolly Parton. I swore that when I got away from my parents, I would never listen to country music again.
But a funny thing happened over the years. Country music morphed into the rock music that I loved in the ’70s. Humph. How did that happen? I don’t know, but when it did, I gradually started added some country music into my music rotation.
I think one of the reasons I like Brad Paisley so much is that so many of his songs are funny. I really like the blend of songs on his CDs.
In no particular order, here are my top 10 favs of his:
- If Love Was a Plane–First of all, the grammar is wrong and was should be were. Sorry–that’s the English teacher kicking in. I like the way the song addresses the dismal statistics anybody faces going into marriage–hence the title and the following line–“nobody’d get on.” If the pilot said, “Welcome aboard. There’s a 6 in 10 chance we’re going down,” would YOU stay on the plane? I didn’t think so. However, we all go into marriage believing we will be the small percentage that makes it. Gotta love our faith!
- Ain’t Nothin’ Like–“watchin’ a bunch of younguns run screamin’ through the sprinkler in their little bare feet.” What’s not to love about lyrics like that?
- The Cigar Song–I hate cigars, but I LOVE this song. It is hilarious! What a fun story. I can listen to it over, and over, and over, and over . . .
- I’m Gonna Miss Her–Ah, yes–the fisherman is going to miss his wife after she hands him the ultimatum of choosing fishing or her. DH used to be one of those fishermen who would fish from pre-daybreak to way past dark. Now, when I sing this song to him I change her to him and fishing to geocaching. Ha!
- The World–This is the way I feel about all my family. I really connected with this song while on a summer getaway with Granddaughter #1 and I was singing it to her. They all mean the world to me!
- Alcohol–Another laugh-out-loud song. “I can make anybody pretty. I can make you believe any lie. I can make you pick a fight with somebody twice your size.” And on and on with more truths of what alcohol can make you do that you really don’t mean to do.
- Letter To Me–Every high school student should be required to listen to this song explaining not to take yourself so seriously and that life will turn out fine.
- Whiskey Lullaby–This is actually the song that drew us into country music the year it was #1. We were flabbergasted that it was #1 because the lyrics are so ridiculous. I mean really–a drink yourself to death cheating on your spouse double suicide? Brad and Allison Krauss sound awesome together, though.
- When We All Get To Heaven–“what a day of rejoicing that will be.” Wonderful.
- Previously . . .–This isn’t a song. It’s one of the Kung Pao outtakes with Little Jimmy Dickens and on this one, Vince Gill, starring as the more caloric friendly person for the Kung Pao Mountain Boys equals laugh out loud funny!
I like many more of Brad Paisley’s songs, but for today, that’s my top 10.