Of course, if I should die before I wake, my bucket list will go unfilled. Going on the presumption that I can fulfill my bucket list, I posit this list which is filled with travel.
- Switzerland–Switzerland has been my dream trip for most of my life, and I’m not even sure why. I’ve always been fascinated with the mountains there and the bucolic landscape in general. I’m thinking the chocolate and Swiss movement watches hold an appeal as well. Also, as long as I’m in Switzerland, I think I’ll need a side trip to Austria to take in more mountains and their amazing culture.
- The Grand Canyon–DH calls this a big ditch, but I’m pretty convinced that I could spend weeks there taking sunrise and sunset pictures. The Badlands were fascinating with their changing colors, so I’m sure The Grand Canyon wouldn’t disappoint. And while I’m there, I’ll enjoy a side trip to Bryce National Park which I’ve heard is even better than The Grand Canyon.
- Glacier National Park–I want to ride the Going to the Sun Road, even though I’m sure I’ll be scared to death the whole trip. If it’s anything like Rocky Mountain National Park, the drop offs will be nail-biting, but I want to experience it anyway. I’ll need a side trip to Banff National Park in Canada which will get me to Canada, and hopefully an overnight visit to the Prince of Wales Hotel. We’re talking major bucks to stay there, though, so I may have to only see it as a tourist and not a guest.
- Fargo, North Dakota–Why? Because ever since I saw the movie Fargo, I’ve wanted to go there. I know it’s going to be nothingness, but I want to go anyway just to say I’ve been there.
- The Northern Lights in Yellowknife, Canada–I’ve always wanted to see the Northern Lights, and Yellowknife beckons as the place to watch them.
- Drive the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, preferably in the Fall.
- Visit the southernmost tip of the United States in the Florida Keys.
- Find a geocache in every state of the United States. That should take care of all my travel wishes.
- Go parasailing at the beach. Unfortunately, I’ve seen too many Funniest Home Videos disasters to make this one come true.
- Start hiking again. I love it, and I miss it very much.
There’s more, but this list will do for starters. Guess I’d better get busy since I’ll be 55 tomorrow.